BakeDelights By Shingie
|Posted on July 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM||comments (176)|
'Pound Cake' is so named because the original recipe consisted of one pound each of butter, sugar, flour and eggs. It originated sometime in the first half of the 18th century.
Here is a recipe from the 'Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy' by Hanna Glasse (1747).
SOME CURIOSITIES IN HER RECIPE
Note the option of a pound of currants.
Note all the 'beating' - and all done with the hand - in particular the 1 HOUR time. That's one heck of a workout!
To Make a Pound Cake
Take a pound of butter, beat it in an earthen pan with your hand one way, till it is like a fine thick cream: then have ready twelve eggs, but half the whites; beat them well, and beat them up with the butter, a pound of flour beat in it, a pound of sugar, and a few carraways. Beat it all well together for an hour with your hand, or a great wooden spoon, butter a pan and put it in, and then bake it an hour in a quick oven. For a change you may put in a pound of currants, clean washed and picked.
|Posted on June 11, 2014 at 9:45 AM||comments (624)|
1. At most weddings, especially buffets, not every guest will eat cake. Some will leave before the cake-cutting, others will be on a diet. If you're inviting 175 people, you'll probably only need a cake for 150. Rather than purchase a separate groom’s design some brides prefer to simply add an extra layer to their bridal cake offering varying cake flavors per layer.
2. A few creative touches of colorful embroidery or swiss dots or scattered flowers rather than a cake saturated with color will save money. Matching colors to fabric swatches can be particularly time-consuming thus expensive. Sugar gumpaste flowers & sea shells cost an approx.
3. The more flavors & fillings you request, the more expensive the cake. The same principle aplies to the cake detail. Simple iced cakes decorated with band trimming or a few flowers will cost much less than a cake covered in individual gum-paste flowers/handmade shells.
4. Ask for buttercream, not fondant. While some designs can only be iced in labor-intensive fondant, less complicated ones can be done in buttercream. We specialize in fondant-style buttercream iced wedding cakes that are exquisitely beautiful and economical.
5. If you want a tall wedding cake but can’t afford an extra tier consider the pillared options to the left or rent a plateau or stand that elevates the cake to the level you desire for minimal cost. All wedding cakes are a minimum of 4-1/2 to 5 inches tall.
6. Silk flowers are often as expensive as real floral arrangements. You can reduce the cost of the floral arrangements of a cake design by choosing flowers according to color rather than type. For example: Spray roses and Alstromeria and are much less expensive than Long stem roses and Gerber daisies.
7. If you have a small cake, arrange to pick up the cake yourself rather than having it delivered. This largely depends on the design which you choose since it must be easy for you to transport and set up.